Thursday, April 27, 2006

N for Nawtee

No, I haven't gone all corporate or received a vast sponsorship deal from a certain network operator named after a fruit that isn't an apple (though I'm more than happy to sell-out if the bunce is nawtee enough). This picture, taken in the aforementioned network operator's reception area, demonstrates the impressive capabilities of my Nokia N90's onboard camera. OK, so I'll be the first to admit this is a bit sad, banging on about one's new mobile phone, especially when one works for the creator of the operating system, lurking within the innards of said phone. I didn't want to post anything but sigh9 forced my hand by drawing a wee picture demanding succour. So there, you happy now? You've forced me into branding my blog with advertising tat. Not that I really follow this new campaign for the fruit related net-ops. They seem to have taken a rather random group of animals, a raccoon, a panther, a canary and a dolphin, to represent their new mobile packages. No doubt intensive marketing reasearch was done to determine which animals mankind felt the greatest affinity with. A dolphin makes sense, free to roam, man's aquatic best friend, higher brain function, tuna friendly etc. A panther is almost acceptable. You could get off on being a panther, prowling the wilderness, befriending abandoned children and bears, maiming campers, lotta fun, lotta fun. I'm not so sure about the canary. Many's the time I've enviously eyed that weird piece of cuttlefish in a canary's cage and wished I could be the little feathered fella for a few minutes, just so I could rub my beak against that strange bio-ceramic carapace. I'm not sure anyone else on the planet shares this view though. As far as a racoon is concerned however, no one in their right mind wants to be a raccoon. They may be mildly endearing in a ring tailed bandit masked kind of way, but it never really works out well for their kind. Raccoons either become roadkill or hats, or dubious ad campaigns. If given the choice, I'd take the pantechnicon any day.

B

Damn, knew I should have finished reading the paper on Saturday, I might have read the Zoe Williams piece on the same subject, ah well, great minds n' all. Nice spot Strcprstsk

3 comments:

Billsworth Esq. said...

I have added a link to pantechnicon,as purple69 moaned at me for posting things she was ignorant of, like Seigfreid and Roy. I will now assume she knows nothing and link to everything. I won't however, link to the network operator in question, that would be too much shame. Look it up yourself purple69.

Strcprstskrzkrk said...

Can't believe you copied someone else's homework just because teacher was looking cross. From this week's Guardian:

Zoe Williams

Or, hold on, the names are too similar - this is Zoe Williams' blog, isn't it?

Billsworth Esq. said...

Curse her and her pre-emptive ways. I didn't see this but am glad one of her stature agrees with me. For the record i did take the picture at their head office a few weeks before they launched the campaign. The woman I had a meeting with there, said someone kept popping the dolphin in the cafetaria with a cigarette, to the point where they had to cordon off its final replacement with yellow tape, crime scene stylee, nothing like buy in from your own staff!